Search This Blog

Saturday, August 17, 2024

Hats off to those with hats on!

 Weird article in the Times about why men keep wearing baseball caps, missing the actual reasons. 

A reader reflects on the proliferation of baseball caps in men’s fashion. Our critic offers an explanation.

She writes: "As to how all this happened, Noah Johnson, the global style director of GQ, attributes it to a combination of three factors: “a more casual atmosphere, an engaged men’s fashion market and a moment of heightened individuality.” Hats, he said, are the male equivalent of handbags, “an easy entry point at the designer level.”

I don't know if this shows how out of touch the Times and/or this writer is or the extent to which New York City is out of touch with the rest of the country.

Top two reasons I think men continue to wear them:

- receding/vacated hairlines

- men trying to still look like boys

Oddly, I remember the first time I saw a man wearing a random baseball cap as an accessory. It was in Kansas in 1982 on my bike trip. I was eating breakfast in a little diner, sitting in a booth next to a table full of farmers (who'd probably already been up for 3-4 hours), and one of the younger guys was wearing a John Deere hat. Not sure why it stuck with me, or even stood out in the first place, but there ya go.

I'll expect a correction to the article the moment they see this post. Actually, I'll guarantee it, since I know they will never do either.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Probe this

Not sure if I ever posted a link to  this  column published in the Daily Local that I wrote back in August of 2021 titled " Probing the...