More boring baseball stuff

Two more stories shared with my baseball buddies I thought worthy of including here:

When the Phils moved to the Vet in 1971, i was a 14 year old and used to wait with my buddies outside the clubhouse where the players would walk to their team bus for the ride back to the hotel. I got autographs from Roberto Clemente, Willie Mays, most of the Big Red Machine, but the nicest person I ever met in that process was Fergie Jenkins (by far) and the biggest a**hole, by far, was Bob Gibson. Only reason Hank Aaron wouldn't give me an autograph was because the little 3' x 3" scrap of paper was too hard for him to write on.  I told him that one of his teammates had signed it with no problem: "Ralph Garr signed it. Aren't you as good as him?!" Didn't work.

In honor of Roberto Clemente Day, and because my team is so far out of it, the price you guys have to pay is all these posts regarding the Dark Ages of baseball, I'll say that the 4 most impressive home runs I've ever seen hit were by:

Roberto Clemente at the Vet - a bolt to left center field, circa 1970
Hard-hittin' Mark Whiten - 1994 - upper deck at 3 Rivers in Pittsburgh
Richie Allen at Connie Mack off Bob Veale out of the stadium in 1969
Aaron Judge at Yankee Stadium 2021 - a shot to CF that appeared to still be rising as it disappeared into the night



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the other hand, if you want an opinion on beer or chocolate, I'm your guy!

Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose? Just not much sign of the change part

My frustrations and apologies