Weird stuff from last night's Phillies - Reds 19-inning marathon:
- In one inning, the Phillies walked three, hit one and still did not allow a Cincinnati run to score.
- Wilson Valdez is the first player to start a game in the field and then win the same game as a pitcher since some guy named Babe Ruth did it 90 years ago.
- The two teams combined to throw exactly 600 pitches.
- When Jay Bruce hit a home run in the 10th inning, a Phillies fan who caught it threw it all the way back to the place it had been a half-minute earlier - the pitchers mound.
- Phillies relievers pitched 12 innings and had more strikeouts (10) than walks and hits allowed combined (8).
- The run the Reds pitcher allowed in the 19th was the first run he's allowed this year. (OK, in just 4 games).
- That was the first time in his 19 years of managing that Cholly Manuel has allowed a position player to pitch.
- If the game had gone to the 20th, the Reds manager was going to bring his shortstop in to pitch.