Ask guys in my age-range about their memories of their first experience in going to a ballgame, and I'll bet a majority, even if it's only 51%, would refer to the least likely of answers: The Colors.

Because most of us grew up without a color TV until I was out of college I think, when I went to my first game at old Connie Mack Stadium in 1966 (in fact, here's the boxscore - I remember so much about that game!), as I walked through the vomitorium (look it up - it's not what you think), ok, through the entrance under the seats into the seating area, it was like Dorothy stepping out of her house into Munchkinland - oh, what bright, vivid colors!

The dazzling green grass, the white chalk lines, the fire engine red seats, the blue I-don't-remember-what, I just remember vivid blues too! Just dazzling.

Oh, and I also went to the last game ever played at Connie Mack, which is probably worthy of a blog post of its own, but in case someone comes across a bright red seat in the garage some day and it looks like this:


just the seat part, not the back, well, that's where it came from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the other hand, if you want an opinion on beer or chocolate, I'm your guy!

Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose? Just not much sign of the change part

Of course, the Republican Congress didn't get anything done last year anyway, so maybe it's for the best