A Valen-timely message for my girl


I realized the other day, as I heard someone pontificating at great length, that the longer someone talks, the less I hear them.

And later, as I was reveling in my proud observation, I pondered it further to realize that it's also true of food - the longer I eat something that I really love, the less I appreciate it.

I went on to realize it applies to a great many things - when I bought my first house, I remember sitting in my car in the driveway and looking up at it in wonder; when I first buy a car, I love admiring it and discovering new things I love about it; when I stare at beautiful scenery, same thing; but eventually in each case the beauty and my wonder and my admiration begins to fade.

But...I then went on to realize that the longer I live, the more I like it and the less I take it for granted...and the more I want of it.

And the longer I'm a dad, the more I recognize after 21 years of it, that it's my favorite thing ever.

And most importantly, the longer I am married to Cheryl McVickar, the more I appreciate and admire her, the more I discover more reasons I love her, the less I take her for granted and the more I realize that she is my favorite person ever.

I love you, Cheryl McVickar. Happy Valentine's Day!

Comments

  1. This is so beautiful!

    I remember the concept of diminishing returns being explained in a college economics class. The example they gave was eating ice cream...

    I am also very lucky in that the longer I'm with Mark, the more I love him. It's such an incredible gift.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On the other hand, if you want an opinion on beer or chocolate, I'm your guy!

Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose? Just not much sign of the change part

Of course, the Republican Congress didn't get anything done last year anyway, so maybe it's for the best