"For those to whom much is given, much is expected."
- President John Kennedy

(or Luke 12:48: "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required.") 

This past Sunday, that thought kept trying to sneak, eventually successfully, into my large head. It kept trying to squeeze in there among the noise generated by an interaction I'd had two nights earlier with someone who means very much to me (No, not Cheryl), when she misunderstood a few texts I'd sent her, thinking I was being uncaring, when in fact, the intent was the direct opposite. (One of many reasons I hate texting, so maybe it was a self-fulfilling prophesy.)

As I tortured myself that morning, reliving what I'd done, trying to figure the best way to make things right, I must have paused long enough to give some legroom to John and Luke's words.

I am a sensitive guy. For better and worse, and to the possible surprise of some folks who have heard me be too blunt...okay, completely tactless...I really try to be very aware of people's feelings, careful to replace my verbal divots when I go too far. And on the other side, it doesn't take much more than the slightest of slights directed at me to set me in a tailspin, sometimes for hours, sometimes days, wondering if their critique of me has merit, forgetting that no one is liked by everyone, no one's opinions are universally shared and that it's okay to ruffle the odd feather, especially mine.

So, to trot out another of my favorite aphorisms, in the category of Sometimes our greatest strengths are also our greatest weaknesses, such is the case with my sensitivity.

And thus, back to the quote above, which I had always aligned with those who are in a position of great financial wealth. Or to take it in another direction, on a sports team, when the superstar has just an average or even subpar game, everyone howls, but when the guy at the end of the bench has the same numbers, we are thrilled by his big game. For of those to whom much is given, much is expected.

And so, conveniently, self-servingly, I wondered: for those among us who are just occasionally jerks and not consistently one, when we say something hurtful, does it sting more than someone from whom much less is expected? Seems kind of obvious when I put it in writing. 

On the other hand, in a meeting that same Sunday morning, my friend Cate said, "Just because you mean well, doesn't mean you do well."

I have a feeling that is the better quote to explain my texting inadequacy. 

And back to trying to make things right to the person I upset, other than telling her how much I love her, I brought her home a big yummy cinnamon donut. Woulda worked for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the other hand, if you want an opinion on beer or chocolate, I'm your guy!

Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose? Just not much sign of the change part

Of course, the Republican Congress didn't get anything done last year anyway, so maybe it's for the best