Of bright and scary brains


Cheryl tells me that I need to unpack the post below a little (which is a nice way of saying she couldn't figure out what the heck I was trying to say). It is a little dense, I admit, moving too quickly from one thought to another without appropriate thought-linkage.

The awkward (poorly explained) transition is here:

"And thus, back to the quote, which I had always aligned with those who are in a position of great financial wealth....For of those to whom much is given, much is expected.
And so, conveniently, self-servingly, I wondered: for those among us who are just occasionally jerks and not consistently one, when we say something hurtful, does it sting more than someone from whom much less is expected? 

The twist is moving from viewing that statement in terms of wealth to viewing it in terms of respect and positive personal attributes. If someone says something about me, but I don't respect them to begin with (think certain Presidents or bosses), it doesn't hurt as much as it would coming from someone I love and/or have great personal respect for, from someone to whom much (of my respect) is given.

Okay, it was kind of a stretch, but that was where my mind wandered and contorted to, and such is the peril of the reader, getting a glimpse inside the scary maze in my brain, with its many dark, occasionally gloomy, occasionally blindingly bright, paths and corners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the other hand, if you want an opinion on beer or chocolate, I'm your guy!

So wrong...but so right