Another day of uncertainty, that turned out well. I reported to the volunteer sign-in around 2, again unsure as to whether I'd get in, since word was that many volunteers were turned away the night before, and waited in a succession of lines, moving forward anywhere from 30 to 100 yards until we finally got into the arena. I got a really disappointing assignment where they first put me, in the media room, doing plenty of nuthin. Occasionally someone asked me a question, but there were any number of others who could have answered them. Finally at about 7:30, I was rotated back into the same great room I'd been in the night before, which was great, until I was then rotated back out at about 9:30, just as the best speakers were coming on!

So I stayed there for about 20 minutes, making small talk with a secret service guy and a few other security folks and where I had even less to do than I had at the previous two locations. (The most interesting thing I learned from the Secret Service guy was when I asked him what he told people he did for a living when he was meeting someone for the first time at a party or bar or somewhere. "Do you tell them you are with the Secret Service?" I asked. He laughed and said "No way - I tell them I work with computers!"

So at about 10:00, I got up, told them I'd be back and went up to sit with Cheryl. Just so I make sure not to lie, I'll make sure to stop by the same spot tonight if I get in. :-)

So, a celebrity recount from last night: David Brooks of the NY Times, Gwen Ifill, Dennis Kucinich (who is all over the place), John Roberts from NBC, Melissa Perry Harris from MSNBC, Chuck Todd, Howard Fineman, Cory Booker, Terry McAuliffe, Gerry Nadler, Jesse Jackson. Heck, I forget who else. I didn't walk around in the concourse as much tonight so didn't see as many folks. I did shake Jesse and Dennis' hands, since they were shaking hands all along where I was standing.

Oh, and I saw Jason Jones from the Daily Show but didn't photobomb him, like I did Samantha Bee the day before. You can see me here for about 2-3 seconds at the 14:40 mark:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-september-5-2012-kirsten-gillibrand .

When Clinton's incredible speech was over, Cheryl and I headed down toward the floor, where we hung out for a little while before heading over to an after-party for the Mid-Atlantic States. Mayor Nutter walked past us alone at one point, and Congresswoman Alyson Schwartz was right next to us a little later. It was a pretty good party with lots of good food and beer, but we were so beat, we only stayed for an hour or so, before we got on a bus, that was sent around in circles by the secret service before we found a way out of the city. Then he went to the wrong Hampton Inn, before being re-routed by one of the passengers. We didn't get back to our room until 3:30, where, still being wired, we probably could have stayed up even later, but forced ourselves to go to bed, knowing we had a meeting at 6:45 this morning, though Cheryl decide to sleep in...all the way to 7:45, followed 15 minutes later by me.

Tonight is least certain of all as to whether I'll get in, but I'll try. I got an email with instructions of where volunteers should report, so we'll see. Even if I don't get in, it's been one crazy week that I'll never forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the other hand, if you want an opinion on beer or chocolate, I'm your guy!

Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose? Just not much sign of the change part

Of course, the Republican Congress didn't get anything done last year anyway, so maybe it's for the best