Maybe happiness is just a warm memory

A Facebook page I am on posted this story, listing 40 great quotes from famous folks about happiness:

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/06/40-life-changing-quotes-on-happiness/

...and asked us to pick our favorite, and this is what I wrote:

I reached overload with about the 3rd one. I stayed with it for awhile though, long enough to realize there are as many in that list that I disagree with as I agree with.

I received great perspective on happiness in one of my first jobs out of Earlham, working with what we were then allowed to call mentally retarded adults. I lived in a home - a Community Living Arrangement - with 3 adult men of varing low levels of intelligence, who had been moved out of an institution called Pennhurst that was closed down by a judge. And all 3 of them taught me far more, I'm certain, than vice versa, even though I was paid for it to be the other way around.

This one fellow, Mark, built like a fire hydrant, was about 23 years old, had Downs Syndrome, and an IQ of about 50 maybe? He was, to this day, 35+ years later, the single happiest person I've ever met in my life. The only time, ONLY time, he didn't have a smile on his face was when someone scolded him for doing something he "knew" he wasn't supposed to do. Dude even smiled in his sleep.

So I read many of those quotations from Mark's perspective and thus a number of them failed me.

And I've often wondered what the value of intelligence is in relation to happiness. Sounds like one of those riddles:

Money doesn't buy it, and intelligence doesn't enhance it. What is it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the other hand, if you want an opinion on beer or chocolate, I'm your guy!

Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose? Just not much sign of the change part

Of course, the Republican Congress didn't get anything done last year anyway, so maybe it's for the best