Chance of a lifetime

Sometimes, though not often, I feel like I just am not in touch with my Progressive side....like when I see headlines, in this case from the Huffington Post, like this one:

Redskins Star Makes Shocking Claim About Female Reporters

OK, the headline isn't the problem, or at least until you read his shocking claim:

"Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis spoke out about the situation on Tuesday....(explaining) that when there is a "nice woman" in a room with 53 men, they will "want to say something."

Portis didn't stop there. The Redskins star believes that Sainz was likely attracted to at least one of the Jets players. "You put a woman and you give her a choice of 53 athletes, somebody got to be appealing to her." he said. "Somebody got to spark her interest, or she's gonna want somebody. I don't know what kind of woman won't, if you get to go and look at 53 men's packages."

Maybe there is no better way to explain the mental differences between men and women than the scenario in which one gender would happen to enter the locker room of the opposite gender.

A woman insists she could do it without any titillation, as it were, and would be offended by any "catcalls" or being treated as a sex object, as was the apparent case with the reporter in the story above.

A guy in a room full of partially dressed female tennis players would have his head explode either from the choices of who or what to look at or by trying not to look. And the thought of being "subjected to" being thought of as a sex object by the women in the room? Seriously, does anyone of any gender or preference think the guy would be insulted by that?

Now, from personal experience, I can say that I once not only entered a women's locker room, but was lead into it by the female coach. More specifically, I was lead through the high school girl's locker room at a local private school where I was about to start as coach of the girl's volleyball team. We were about 4-5 strides in when the partially undressed girls yelped, the coach said "Oops, sorry!" and we kept walking.

How did I react? I shielded my eyes and looked down all in one motion. Seriously. And I never thought of it again. Not seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the other hand, if you want an opinion on beer or chocolate, I'm your guy!

Of course, the Republican Congress didn't get anything done last year anyway, so maybe it's for the best